Each year for the past 10 years, the Design Challenge theme is chosen by the DesignLA Board of Directors. The board is made up of a dozen design studio executives. Automotive design studios from around the world are invited to participate and this year, studios from Germany, Japan and the U.S. will compete to design “Biomimicry & Mobility 2025: Nature’s Answer to Human Challenges.” With biological knowledge doubling every five years, designers now have the instruments and the capacity to mimic nature like never before. Nature is becoming one of the best R&D labs we know. This year’s Design Challenge asks automotive design studios to design a vehicle experience that uses biomimicry to increase the efficiency of our human capacity and improve mobility. The winning entry will identify issues facing mobility like congestion, pollution, sustainability, flexibility and safety and to design a mobility solution that mimics nature to solve the challenges.
Entries are judged based on various factors including:
· Creative adaptation of nature’s laws (plants & animals)
· Application of human intelligence to biomimicry in unique ways to improve the efficiency of future vehicles
· Comfort, convenience, aesthetics of the vehicle
· Sustainability of the building, servicing, operation, and life cycle
· The personality of the vehicle in relationship to the brand
Design LA Sponsors